Thursday, December 26

I'm ready for you, 2014


It’s the morning after Boxing Day, it’s 12:32am, I have to be up in 7 hours, I can’t sleep and shit’s about to get deep. If you prefer reviews of lipsticks over angsty moaning, avert your eyes elsewhere.

This blog post has been on my mind for a while now, and I was going to save it for a hungover New Years day task; but sometimes there are just those nights you stop up reflecting. There’s something about typing out all your thoughts to store them away on a screen rather than in your mind.  

I couldn’t be more excited for this year to be over, which sounds so pessimistic, but it’s been a strange mixture of the very worst year of my life with a few truly amazing bits thrown in for good measure. So many pity parties led me to forget to be proud that I have a job in my dream career before I’ve even hit 21 years old, which is the stupidest thing I’ve ever done. Only my best friends will know what I mean, in the way that it’s meant to be, I’d never dream of posting it online, which leads on to my next point.

Recently, I’ve been thinking about the honesty of social media. On Christmas morning I was scrolling through Instagram and Bloglovin’ (while sipping wine at the same time as eating Pringles, of course.) While scrolling, I became so envious of the perfect family photos, expensive present ‘hauls’ and spoiling boyfriends. It took me an entire day of sulking that my family isn’t perfect, I didn’t get a Macbook and my relationship ended this year, to realise that Instagram is just the world through rose tinted filters.

 In the generation of selfies, blogs, tweets and status’ we become more concerned with how we appear to others, rather than the real enjoyment. Surely thanking your family and friends with real words from your actual mouth is more enjoyable than posting a Facebook photo with the cringe worthy caption of “Santa’s been, must have been good this year.” You’re 21, grow up.

I never normally make New Years resolutions, they are normally just a half hearted promise to exercise more, but this year I’m making one that I’m keeping. I’m officially promising to actually live, rather than just tweeting about living. I wish I could make a resolution to not compare myself to others, but I think that that’s so ingrained in myself, and society, that just a change from 2013 to 2014 isn’t going to change that. I’m working on it. More than anything, my New Years resolution is to be happy and honest with myself, which will be so easy once I try as I have so much to be happy for.

2014 is going to bring living with the two best friends in the entire world,  working in an career I love, being truly happy to be alone, moving to the city centre, seeing Beyonce and Professor Green live, writing a dissertation on something that inspires and fascinates me, travelling, graduating and who knows what else yet. It is most definitely time to stop comparing my life to the #instalife of others and remember how fucking amazing that is.


p.s, I’ve found, and love, a playlist on Spotify called “Indie/Hipster Playlist” and can’t fully cope with how hilarious that fact is. 

song of the post - INDIE/HIPSTER Playlist

3 comments:

  1. Lovely post Chloe, I agree wholeheartedly with a lot of the points you make here. Whilst 2012 was an amazing year for me, 2013 saw me completely take things for granted and I ended up letting other people and breakdowns of relationships take control of my life with family and friends, as well as overshadow all the things I've achieved in my career. My 2014 resolution is also to live and to focus a little more, too (: Happy New Year Chloe, I hope the new year is amazing for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much sweetie! :) hope 2014 brings great things for you too! xxxx

      Delete
  2. Ah love this post - I so agree with the whole selfie thing haha! Typing this in my pj's haha! I hope 2014 is amazing for you xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your lovely comments, if you would like a quicker reply tweet me @chloetea_